Sunday, May 31, 2009

Desperately Seeking George....
George P. Lee

So for those of you who don't know, my dissertation research centers on the Mormon Church's Indian Placement Program, 1947-1996. I've done most my research and am just getting a few interviews and re-visiting a couple archival sources regarding the decline of the program in the 1970s and 1980s. One person I still need to find and interview is George P. Lee, the Navajo who was the poster child for the placement program, testified to Congress about its value, served as a mission president and then general authority (first Indian general authority) until his excommunication in the late 1980s. Nobody knows for sure why he was excommunicated--it could have been his remarks challenging the Church authorities and criticizing the phasing out of Indian programs, or it could have been the child molestation charges that later surfaced (along with his conviction). Regardless, he is a central player in the placement program history and I need to find him. Last I heard he was in Saint George. Does anybody know where I can fid him?

3 comments:

Jen said...

I don't know George P. Lee, but there are two Pima Natives who go to the branch where Wade serves in the branch presidency that were placed in the program. They've told many stories of their experiences and how it changed their lives. Good Luck with your dissertation!

2 + 2+1 = 5 said...

Matt,

A friend of mine is a professional geneologist. I asked her about your guy and she told me this:

"Emma,
I did a little research on George P. Lee. He is a supposed sex offender for the state of Utah, but I cannot find him on the list, which indicates he may be in Arizona. I checked the Social Security Death Index, but he is not on there, so I assume he is still alive. A search found this information:

George P. Lee
PO Box 241
Tuba City, Arizona
976-7733

It's all I can find....my guess he is still in Arizona. There are a lot of George Lee's in Arizona. Tell your friend to call them all!! All they can do is hang up on him!! I do it all the time!!

Hope this helps!!

Vicki

Unknown said...

My mother last saw him a year ago in St. George, where her and my father still live, at a gas station. He was actually my father's old mission president. We know he lives in St. George still, or at least in the vicinity. He was ordered in 2008 to register as a sex offender. It is so sad what has become of him.